13 February 2009

It's Friday the Thirteenth...

...And I hope your day has been better than mine.

Actually, this morning went well. I got up, had breakfast, went to work, got work done, didn't get yelled at. And so on.

Then I decided to head home. Well, actually i was heading home so that I could get my cooking supplies and go to my parents' house where I was going to make Valentine's Day cookies and chocolates with my brothers. (I'm still going to go over tonight, but I'm waiting for David to get home because I'm a bit upset and don't really feel like driving anymore today).

Yeah so, if you hadn't guessed it by now, I got pulled over for speeding on my way home. okay, a valid reason to pull someone over. It would have been nice though if it had occurred to me that I had actually been speeding. I actually was dumb enough to think that it was just a random sobriety test or he wanted to warn me about something.

Nope. This little Ma'am was going 44 in a 25 mph zone.
How the hell did i manage that?
Oh the usual... I was coming out of a 45 mph zone that turns directly into a 25 mph zone... going down a hill.
The officer got me while I was breaking, and to be perfectly honest, I have no idea how fast i was going.
The kicker of the whole thing is that they pulled over someone else along with me. They let the person in front of me go, and I think the other person they pulled over was behind me.

Anyway, the officer that pulled me over showed me his little radar gun that said 44 and told me how "fast I was going." I politely said that I understood, and gave him my license and registration *after fishing in the glove box for a second, which was locked by the way, so i had to turn off the car and get my keys to unlock it*

Then he walked off, and wouldn't you know the other officer went up to the man they'd pulled over and told him that he too had been going 44 mph! What are the odds? Are you trying to tell me that there is no way at all that they could have both picked up the same car? Hell, that could have been the speed of the car in front of me. Maybe of the car behind us. Who knows?

Anyway, they weren't looking to give warnings, and I must not have flashed enough boob because the old fart *i mean police officer -- I couldn't have gotten a nice young dude* wrote me up. So now i have been looking online trying to figure how much i will have to pay if i am found guilty -- which i'm not entirely sure how i am supposed to argue that i am innocent. I can argue that two officers were hiding in a rickety white truck with a motorcycle hidden behind, and so i didn't see them there ready to pounce. I can argue that it is a steep drop in speed and they were standing at the end of the hill which is around a corner as well. Because the fact that they are sneaky bastards doesn't really help the fact that i was pulled over for speeding. And even if i were to say that i was innocent and there was no way that i was speeding, A. I don't really know that and B. I don't think that the judge would really care.

There is a way to just pay up instead of going to court, but in that case, you are automatically written up as pleading and being found guilty. So if i went to court, it would at least be written that i had plead innocent, but that doesn't help so much if i am found guilty anway. David's dad has a really good lawyer friend who has helped him out of traffic trouble in the past, but i don't know if that could help me in this situation. and i'd still have to pay for the lawyer most likely anyway.

And I'm having trouble figuring where to find the info online because i was given a couple of websites, but the network keeps time out and stuff on them. So i'm going to try to get david to help me later.

So on the one hand, all of my polite "yes, sir's" and smiles*i was really confused at first because like i said, i honestly hadn't realized i had done something wrong. I know i was going over 25, but right in that spot, i'm not sure that is possible. So i treated him with the same respect that i treat other officers and elders with.

Although, my attitude towards my "protectors" is beginning to change, because when you start pulling over nice young girls driving Buicks *you gotta watch out for super sporty cars like that -- just screams "rebel"* who are just on their way home from working at the library *that's right, i'm a wild one* and looking forward to baking Valentine's Day cookies with her younger brothers *because I obviously have forgotten my family values -- such a heathen*, I think you've hit a serious downward spiral.


On the other hand, the officer felt like shit after all was said and done.


This all reminds me of an incident that happened in the library a while ago:

A police officer came into the library and had a fine. So he flashed his shiny badge and asked my coworker, "Isn't there anyway you can make an exception for an officer of the law?"

And she looked him straight in the eye and said, "You wouldn't let me out of a speeding ticket just because I work in public service at the library."

And she made the f*cker pay up.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

Hey Alyse,

That sucks about the ticket. We've had friends down here get tickets like that.
The best thing I can say is just to say that you were coming down the hill and it is a really steep speed drop off and you didn't hit the break as soon as you should have. I'm sorry etc.
The worst thing to say would be that you didn't know to slow down because the cops were hiding in a shady pick up and such. Because they would just turn that around as "oh so you would have been speeding anyway since you didn't see any cops around."
I am surprised that they didn't just give you a warning since you haven't ever had another ticket or anything. But they probably had a quota to fill or some crap.
I really hope it works out and they let you off.