05 August 2008

Deceptively Delicious

That is the title of the book I found at the library.

Actually, the full title is Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food.

Yeah... that's right. It's technically a book for mothers with young children who don't like to eat their vegetables. In other words, I am still a five-year old that needs to have the green stuff hidden before I eat it. But this book shows you how to hide it in brownies! so exciting.

The entire book is dedicated to slipping cooked and pureed veggies into meals.

It has recipes for normal food like cookies, brownies, french toast, mac & cheese, etc; which means I won't feel like I'm going on some sort of twisted diet.

Anyway, the book is technically aimed at mother's with small children, but it does apply to anyone who is or has a picky eater eating their cooking. But I suppose that if I ever have kids, I'll be well-prepared.

Heh, oh and something else that it is interesting: it is written by Jessica Seinfeld, who is Jerry Seinfeld's wife. I hadn't noticed until I had checked it out and starting reading through it, but I looked online, and she has apparently been on Oprah and everything promoting this book.

Basically, the idea is that you puree all types of different veggies, put them in the freezer, and then use them in the recipes (which, like I said, involve normal food and normal ingredients -- as opposed to trying to search for weird ingredients for most weird vegetable combinations that are supposed to fool you) while you're making dinner. So prep is pretty easy. Just spend an hour or two one day pureeing all the different veggies, then stick em in the freezer. And it's not supposed to taste gross or weird *hey, i've tasted some pretty weird stuff like vegan brownies... uhh... yeah, those were gross...*

Hopefully, I will be able to do this. It has a lot of veggie recipes, and several involving yogurt and berries. So, that takes care of my veggie issue anyway. But I'm still looking for something for fruit, although my guess is that I could do a lot of stuff with cooked and pureed fruit. smoothies come to mind.
My main concern has been with veggies, and I feel a little better now knowing that there is someone (and probably many more) that has figured out some cool recipes. I would like to buy this book at some point, but for now, I can use the library's copy. I'll have to wait until I move though before I start pureeing stuff and what not.

No comments: